Some of our favorite resources for your dog’s care, training, and socialization with a focus on promoting positive methods, common courtesy, and responsible ownership.
How Dogs Communicate
- Jean Donaldson and her pals created iSpeak Dog, a ginormous reference for dog communication.
- Victoria Stilwell’s thorough and well-organized take on canine body language
- Whoa! Look at all this dog-speak info from Eileen and Dogs. Eileen Anderson is a superstar.
- The Spectrum of Fear, Anxiety, and Stress from the Fear-Free folks. Love them.
- Jean Donaldson on compulsion training methods- Talk Softly and Carry a Carrot, Not a Stick.
- Lisa Mullinax explains some common misconceptions about positive reinforcement.
- When you Catch Your Dog Doing Something Good and reward her for it, she’ll do it more often.
Service Dog Resources and Laws
- FAQ about Service Animals and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- North Carolina Service Animal Laws
- The International Association of Assistance Dog Partners (IAADP) is a disability rights advocacy organization.
- Assistance Dogs International (ADI) is a worldwide coalition of not-for-profit assistance dog organizations that sets standards for the industry.
- The Fair Housing Act and Service Dogs
Our favorite resources for those living with chronic illness, or disability
The Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino The theory uses spoons as a visual way to illustrate the energy limitations that can result from living with disability, chronic illness, or overwhelm. Additional representations of The Spoon Theory
National Institute of Mental Health NIMH offers brochures and fact sheets on mental health disorders and related topics for patients and their families, health professionals, and the public.
Strugglecare Skills for survival and self-kindness. So many great resources here!
American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) Position Statements
- Positive Vet Visit Position Statement
- Dominance Position Statement
- Punishment Position Statement
- Puppy Socialization Position Statement
- How to Choose a Trainer Handout
- Breed Specific Legislation Position Statement
- AVSAB Response Statement to Cesar 911
Gear We Love and Recommend
- Bold Lead Designs Service Dog equipment and beyond!
- Front-attachment harnesses like the Balance Harness, PetSafe 3-in-1 Harness, or Freedom Harness,
- A good 6-ft leash so you can give your dog room to sniff on your walk
6-in-1 Kurgo leash and The Atlas Leash are our favorites.
- Squishy Face Walking Belt is great for hands-free walking and training
Do you need CLASS RECOMMENDATIONS?
Let us know where you are, and we will help you find the right classes or supplemental training for you and your dog.